Sunday, January 14, 2007

Nepali Newsbites

The Nepal Youth Social Forum was a resounding success, attracting over 1300 young people together for a momentum starter among Nepali youth. Our workshop about the International Community went very well, though I was chuckling inside most of the time. After I presented my paper in English, the three comentators and public participation took off in Nepali, so as people commented frequently in my direction, and said 'Amanda' here and there, I was quite in a powerless situation to know exactly their reaction. But afterwards I was filled in fully, and responses were largely positive. One of the leading senior human rights activists was present, and he commented that this was the first time he had ever seen a conversation including both the international community and youth. We could have used a bigger room since several were deterred by the lack of sitting room. The place was alive with excitement for two days; it truly raised Nepal up a notch. I'll post up a link to pictures soon.

Meanwhile, I've been attempting to travel outside of Kathmandu for the last week, but mainly due to the imposed strikes of a Maoist splinter group, transportation has been brought to a standstill in most of the southern region. But if all goes as planned, myself and two colleagues will be moving out tomorrow and I'll be getting a complimentary glimpse to my very urban Kathmandu experience. I'll be visiting projects of Youth Action Nepal as well as Search for Common Ground.

The cold encroaches a bit more everyday, but my relationships with my new friends continually warms my heart... and prospects of a visit from mom does the same:)

Sending you all great love in '07.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home